tab key notworking to complete some sub commands

i am using debian 6.0.7.

in my other debian machines when i type "apt-get install sam<tab>" it give me all item start from sam and this is a default behavior. however now for some reason <tab> key is not working. is there anyone know why.

note: for other commands <tab> key is working fine.

it is also not completing the sub commands like apt-get inst* or apt-get rem*
which other machines are doing correctly.

Thanks,

Myk