syslog

Why are there 3 logging daemons (syslogd, rsyslog, and syslog-ng) on Wheezy? (There's only syslogd on my one remaining Lenny box, looks like two (no ng) on Squeeze.) All three are enabled, and at least some logging seems to happen. Does /dev/log send to all of them? Do they all write to the same files in /var/log? Is Udev somehow involved in this? Have I got something badly bent?

I'm trying to get my Cisco router to log on a DMZ server, and I can't figure out how/what to configure (did fine on Lenny)...

--
Glenn English