Re: sid upgrade removes XFCE desktop

On 7/16/13, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 7/16/13, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 12:41 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>> I usually use startx, and after my upgrade (from sid 12th July) now
>>> gnome classic and xfce sessions from lightdm, and startx from command
>>> line, all start up gnome classic.
>>>
>>> Now my laptop cpu fan fires up 2 or 3 times a minute, my external
>>> screen is below res and my usual desktop panels etc are gone etc etc.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I want to run xfce, and am impressed the upgrade got one past me
>>> :)
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc
>>
>> exec startxfce4
>
> Thanks.
>
> Is there any advantage to prefixing startxfce4 with exec?

Also from here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Xfce

it suggests to put the following in ~/.xinitrc, for normal "startx" to
work (I'll try it after this):
exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

Might be preferable..

Finally, any ideas why the xfce4 session is not working when chosen
from lightdm? (not a priority for me, since I use startx[fce4] anyway
... perhaps my next update will solve it too - I am offline for
updates until I visit a friend)

Thanks again
Zenaan