Re: Over 2.5 GB ram problem

On 07/12/2013 12:35 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 7/11/2013 9:49 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
On 07/11/2013 06:10 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 7/11/2013 6:10 PM, Gary Roach wrote:

Sorry, I've already done this with all possible permutations. They all
seem to be working fine. If I install a pair they show 2GB no matter
which pair I pick. Per the motherboard manual I should be getting
about
3.5 GB of useable ram showing. I get 2.5 GB instead.
Hay Gary, what motherboard is this, exact model number?

The motherboard is a D865PERL board model # BTRL41314498 AA C39648-209.
The bios is an RL86510A.86A.0071.P13.
Read section 2.2 carefully.  Therein you may find the answer.  I already
mentioned many of these things but maybe it will be more helpful if you
read it straight from Intel's mouth.

downloadmirror.intel.com/15200/eng/D865PERL_TechProdSpec.pdf

Stan, I agree that some of the memory is being used by other than general memory. But, I just cleared the CMOS and now get 2.8 GB showing instead of the 2.5 I had before. Also, if you open Kinfocenter to the memory window only 2.82 GB shows in the "Total Physical Memory" listing. My other two systems with 4 GB of memory installed show 3.95GB total memory. There is no way that a standard Wheezy installation with no fancy hardware can soak up 1.2 GB of ram. Something else is wrong. The reference you suggested shows usage that would add up to about 500MB at maximum. Even at worst case, i'm still short about 700MB. And don't forget that as the BIOS self tests it only finds 2.8 GB even though all 4 memory chips are detected.

Gary R.