Re: Backup/Restore software?

Jeff Bauer grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 08:42 PM, David Guntner wrote:
>> Is there a Linux backup package that will do pretty much what I
>> described above?
>
> I know of no such package, though there very well may be one available.
> On the other hand, a simple back up script using rsync can do the trick
> for you. And example to back up your home stuff:
>
> # backup /home
> #
> echo --------------
> echo rsyncing /home
> echo --------------
> rsync -avz /home /mnt/sda1/debian_backup
> # end
>
> Using that for /home and other directories take care of the backing up.
> For scheduling, you can "tell" your computer to do whatever you want,
> whenever you want, with cron.
>
> The learning curve will be pretty gentle with both writing said script
> and setting up cron. YMMV.

Already know how to do that. :-)  Backing up /home is nice, but what I
want is something that will backup (and compress, or this just doesn't
work) everything from / down.  Like I said, what I need is to be able to
do a weekly full backup, followed by daily incrementals (which save only
those files changed since the last backup (which would be the last
incremental or full in this case)).

I want to be able to restore a file as it was yesterday or maybe even a
few days ago; but I also need something which will put the whole system
back together in case of a hard drive crash or whatever.  The idea being
to save time from having to do a full install, with updates, and then
reinstall specific packages, then change all the config files that need
changing to work on my system (dovecot, postfix, etc.) and so on.
Otherwise, it's pretty pointless from my standpoint.

I do appreciate the suggestion; don't get me wrong.  It's just that what
you suggest above doesn't fill my particular need.  Hopefully someone
here will have heard of something which can be used to do what I need.
:-)  And I'll keep looking, of course. <grin>

               --Dave