Stock kernel not working with raid / lvm setup

For years I've been using self-build kernels (from kernel.org) for this or that reason. Recently I decided to use debian stock kernel instead. Should be so much easier and faster. Well, it did not work.

I have installed
linux-headers-3.9-1-amd64
linux-image-3.9-1-amd64
(I run amd64, debian wheezy/sid)

but on reboot it could not load raid modules - seems they are neither compiled in nor installable as modules. I'm getting the following messages:

modprobe: module dm-raid45 not found in modules.dep
modadm: No devices listed in conf file were found
Volume group "blahblah" not found
Gave up waiting for root device

The kernel I build works fine. Does it mean I cannot use Debian stock kernel and have to keep building my own?

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann