Re: Dot files, get them out of the way

On 08/07/13 11:42, Wilko Fokken wrote:
> Moin mitnanner,
>
> As a (private) text prone Debian user, I like having my dot files
> out of the way and not stumbling between my working files.
>
> On the other hand, I dislike hiding them by file managers,
> because I want to discover them early at possibly wrong places.
>
> So, by fumbling and messing with some shell scripts,
> I managed to get my dot files:
>
> into "/root" for owner "root"
> and
> into "$HOME/.rc" for ordinary users.
>

> My question:
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish this
> by a direct changing of the system defaults?
>

> Thanks for your sugestions
>
> Wilko

This seems to be making things complicated for no good reason, and
contrary to the customary use of the filing system.

It is conventional to have the dot files in the top level of your home
directory, where applications can create and access them. I think what
you're proposing is almost certain to break something, and needs you to
be continually messing about with moving things about.

So, leave them in $HOME, and create directories such as $HOME/work;
$HOME/documents, etc to contain youre working files. That way the dot
files will be out of your way.

You are, of course totally at liberty to do whatever you like within
your $HOME, so feel free to ignore my advice.

Cheers, Tony
--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |