Re: Dotfiles

Dňa 02.07.2013 23:32 John Hasler  wrote / napísal(a):
> Look at the access times.  dotfiles that have not been accessed in years
> can probably be safely removed.

Sure, but do not forget, that the "relatime" (default one) and "noatime"
mount options are going into play, then the results can be inappropriate.

I occasionally take look at them. Most of these files are easy
identified by their name and i know if i am using this tool or now. When
i cannot decide the app name, i take look into it and i try to identify
it by its content. The access/modify time is the last resort (i have
relatime used and by mistake i was used noatime some time) and i am
using it for unidentified/uknow files only (i am often trying new
tools). When i am playing with these files, i take look info ~/.config
directory too, which is another place for configuration files/directories.

My $HOME dir has a small amount of regular files directly in it because
i have deep tree structure of directories, which takes some GB of disk
space - the dot files is very small (piddling) part of my home
partition, which is really no problem for me.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk