Shrunken Synaptic dialog window

I upgraded from Wheezy to testing a couple of weeks or so ago.

Ever since (or possibly before) when I open Synaptic for any purpose,
and cause the terminal window to open in order to review the changes
taking place, I get a shrunken dialog window that is almost unusable.
The window can be re-sized but that is something of a nuisance.

The messages first appearing in the dialog window are :

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend requires a screen at least 13 lines tall and
31 columns wide.) debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline

Can any kind soul provide a pointer as to how to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance.

--

Chris Dunn