Re: Botched python upgrade mangled my system--- HELP!

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:33:17 -0500
Charles Blair <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:

>    I am running debian 6.0.6 on a Toshiba laptop that is
> approximately two years old.  The command python --version
> reported 2.6.x.  I wanted to upgrade to 3.3.2, so I
> did the following things, some of which were apparently
> mistakes.
>
> (1) I downloaded the .tgz for 3.3.2. from python.org,
> typed ./configure, make, and make install.  This did
> not seem to produce any serious warnings.
>
> (2) python --version said I was still using 2.6.x, so
> [probably a Big Mistake] I typed
>
> apt-get remove python
>
> I think I made the further mistake of saying "go ahead"
> when there was a warning.
>
> (3) Then I repeated step (1), expecting this would
> simply replace the older python with the newer one.
> At this point, python --version was still saying 2.6.x,
> but python3 --version said 3.3.2.
>
>    However, after shutting down my machine, it became
> clear that Something Bad had happened.
>
>    (Bad #1) after entering username and password, I
> get tty instead of graphics.
>
>    (Bad #2) the wireless connection has stopped working.
>
>    There are probably other Bad Things as well, but I
> decided at this point to ask the experts for help.

You're probably fine. Installing from the tarball /probably/ installed
python into /usr/local unless you told it otherwise. As for the debian
python, re-installing that should be possible. As you don't have
wireless, you'll either need to see if you have the debs
in /var/cache/apt/archives, or find some other way of sideloading them
(ethernet cable, USB stick etc).

Then, when things are back, consider doing "apt-get install python3".