Re: kernel not upgraded to wheezy

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Lu, 01 iul 13, 09:19:31, Joel Rees wrote:
> Short story: upgraded squeeze to wheezy, kernel did not. But OS seems to
> run, so I'm using synaptic to install the kernel. (I know I should use
> apt-cache and apt-get, but I'm lazy and trying to do some other work that
> needs to be done today.)
>
> Wondering why, wondering how big a hole-in-my-foot I'm going to end up
> with. We'll see. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
> Comments?

Two:

1. Since the kernel packages have different names they are not upgrades
in the sense of the package manager (like installing package foo version
1.2.3 to upgrade from foo version 0.1.2 is).

So, in the case of the smaller install, the dependencies picked up the kernel.

But in the case of the larger install, the dependencies somehow got clipped without registering an actual hold anywhere. Ouch.

If you want/need this to be handled by the package manager have a look
at the linux-image-<flavour> packages.

Yeah, that was what I used to install the new kernel.

2. The method of installing is irrelevant, the kernel will not be used
until you reboot anyway ;)

You should only avoid synaptic when the upgrade may involve parts of
your GUI infrastructure (*dm, DE/WM, etc.), otherwise I'm sure it might
be a viable alternative for the dist-upgrade.

Okay, I see that I didn't explicitly say I took the two step approach.

I did, and the kernel was not pulled in at either apt-get upgrade or apt-get diist-upgrade. (Got about 500 MB of stuff on upgrade, another 1500 MB on dist-upgrade, left it going overnight, checking progress when I got up to chase my son to bed, etc. Probably missed some important question while I was asleep.)

--
Joel Rees