Re: Separate partitions for filesystems (was Re: computer rendered un-usable)

On Jun 24, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:

David Guntner:
Jochen Spieker grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

Judging from your usage of "df -k" (instead of -g or -h) and the number
of filesystems, you should probably apply at IBM. :->

And yes, I had the great misfortune of being an administrator of an AIX
system (on the subject of IBM...). :-)

My condolences. Luckily, I only need to log in to such systems (setup by
IBM GTS, I believe) on rare occasions. It is unbelievable how AIX kept
stuck in the 90s. And really, the number of filesystems on these
machines is astonishing. I think I have seen more than 30 filesystems.
More than 20 is apparently not unusual.

Oh, I know about -h (-g doesn't work on this system (6.0.7));

That was my fault. I knew -m works and suspected -g would display
gigabytes. It doesn't.

Check out the "-B" option. It handles all that sillyness with remarkable elegance... (For example, "-B1MB" gives sizes in Megabytes [10^6 bytes]; "-B1T" gives sizes in Tebibytes [2^40 bytes])

I just prefer the slightly-more-detailed information when showing the
space used as 1K blocks.

Yes, sometimes that makes it easier to compare the numbers.

Seriously, you should really look into LVM. It provides way more
flexibility than DOS partitions for setups like yours.

I've heard about LVM but really don't know that much about it.  I'll
look more into it and see what it's all about. Thanks for the suggestion.

You will not regret it.

LVM has the added advantage over traditional partitioning methods that it elegantly handles devices with capacities over 2TiB [2*2^40 bytes]. Most partitioning methods that originated before Y2K have 32 bit fields for block numbers. And 2^32*512 bytes = 2TiB .

J.
--

Rick