Re: What does this error message mean?

John W. Foster wrote:
> > insserv: Script ETH1START is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
> > insserv: missing `Default-Stop:'   entry: please add even if empty.
> > insserv: Script ETH1START is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
> > insserv: missing `Default-Stop:'   entry: please add even if empty.
> > insserv: Script ETH1START is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
> > insserv: missing `Default-Stop:'   entry: please add even if empty.
> > insserv: Script ETH1START is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
> > insserv: missing `Default-Stop:'   entry: please add even if empty.
> > insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for script `ETH1START'
>
> Anyone seen this or know how to get rid of it? Seems to happen every
> time I use Synaptic or dselect.

Debian requires LSB headers in all /etc/init.d/* scripts now.  You
have a file /etc/init.d/ETH1START which does not have LSB headers.
Since that isn't a standard Debian file I am sure you will recognize
the name as something that you have added to your system as a local
customization.

The naming makes me wonder why you have that file?  Why not use one of
the standard methods?

In any case, edit that file, insert LSB headers, run 'insserv' to
update the symlinks, and all will be good.  You can copy a template
form and edit it to your needs from the /etc/init.d/skeleton file.

You can get documentation on this by reading the man page.

  man insserv

Bob