Re: Just a question...........

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 15:55 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Thursday 20 June 2013 15:18:29 Conrad Nelson wrote:
> > (I have never in all my time seen a single torrent beat the
> > speeds of straight up downloading.)
>
> I have never had one take as long.  Torrent wins every time on time.  And
> generally, where there is a Torrent available, there is also a straight
> download.

Until now I experienced the same as Conrad experienced. Perhaps I
sometimes had good luck when downloading small files by torrent and I'm
not aware that the download was faster, but usually it takes much, much
longer and sometimes torrents aren't seeded completely.

When downloading a torrent we've got the duty to seed the torrent, even
after it is downloaded, at least we should do it, as long as there isn't
a sane ratio.

I like the idea of torrents and they are useful, but they aren't useful
for package downloads. Btw. most torrents I've seen are illegal uploads,
I can't remember when I used a torrent the last time.

How should the package database, checksums and security keys be
downloaded, when packages are downloaded by torrent? By torrent too? If
so, wouldn't it be a security risk?

Regards,
Ralf