Re: Authentication required keeps popping up

Thanks for letting me know about the message headers. I wasn't aware they were there.

PackageKit is installed on my system. When I try to remove gnome-packagekit-data, though, the dependencies also want to remove gnome, gnome-core and gnome-desktop-environment. Maybe there is a way to disable it instead?

On 2013-06-17 13:28, green wrote:
Chris Capon wrote at 2013-06-17 11:45 -0500:
Since upgrading to Debian Stable (Wheezy), the Gnome desktop has a
popup which occurs at least once a day asking for authentication.
The exact message is:

      Authentication is required to update packages

It always pops up twice in a row whether I type in a password or
just cancel the dialog.  I've uninstalled the gnome update manager
but this still shows up.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to get rid of it?
Check for any PackageKit packages that are installed.  But I have had
some trouble like this too (I think the message is the same, it is on
a system that I do not use personally) and do not see any PackageKit
packages installed.  Let me know what you find.

It would be better to start a new thread with a new message to the
list rather than replying to another.  I chose to not follow the
"Openvpn, network manager and resolv.conf" thread and your message
consequently did not appear in my inbox.  This is called
thread-killing or -muting and is possible with many email clients due
to the Message-Id and References headers.  More information here:
<http://content.reviveyourinbox.com/16-how-to-mute-a-thread-conversation-outlook-gmail-thunderbird.html>