LPR job via cups-lpd + CUPS + cups-pdf

Hello
I am struggling with an issue - hopefully someone has some experience they can share.
I am trying to implement a PDF printer for a legacy mainframe process that prints reports to an LPR remote target. I have no access to the job provider, I am on the target end with a setup as below:
cups-lpd listening on port 515 and receiving the print job. Job is sent through CUPS to a PDF printer (cups-pdf driver) for archival.

My problem is that the job seems to be prefixed with printer control characters which is causing problems when it hits CUPS. The spool file is incomplete (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/cups2pdf-XXXX only contains the last line of the job) and ghostscript complains (quite rightly so) that the spool is not properly formatted into postscript.

If I remove the control characters from my local copy of the print job and resubmit it, the PDF gets produced. Otherwise the process ends with an unrecoverable ghostscript error -1 and a blank PDF. Using a basic text-only printer driver and sending a job myself through the cups-lpr service, I get the desired output.

For what it's worth, the control characters in this particular case are:
^[E^[&l0S^[&l5H^[&l1O^[(8U^[(s0P^[(s15H^[(s8.5V^[(s0S^[(s0B^[(s0T^[&l5.2727C^[&k8H^[&l7E^[&a14L^[&l1L^[&s0C^[&a0R

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on dealing with this?

Thanks in advance