Re: Trouble reinstalling everything.

Thanks, I'm not entirely sure what man page to read to find how to do a preferences.d, I just tried man preferences.d. The list of man pages for section five is huge so I'd appreciate a hint.

I added deb-src because I am a programmer and I occasionally play around with making my own patches though nothing release worthy. I also built my own kernel trading off some throughput for latency with voluntary kernel preemeption and I also raised the interrupt timer to 1000hz, I wish such a kernel was in apt-get.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM, André Nunes Batista <andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you trying to use FF from experimental repo of mozilla in a purely
debian stable release? That's bound to raise conflicts between its
required libs.

You may add sid and experimental to you source list and create a
preferences file (/etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox). Read the man pages to
learn how to do it.

Also, there is a package named "tiger" which is a collection of scripts
that you can run to look for vulnerabilities on you machine.

Finally, you may comment out (#) deb-src lines if you are not compiling
software yourself.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Tate <john@johntate.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:15:50 +1000
Subject: Trouble reinstalling everything.
I am having trouble reinstalling everything I can't see anything wrong with my sources list. I've noticed iceweasel has been held back for a while, is there a problem with the repositories at present? If there isn't, how can I solve this?

root@fekete:~# dpkg -l  | awk '/^i/ {print $2}' |xargs apt-get --reinstall install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of skype:i386 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of linux-headers-3.2.39-amd64kintaro is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of webmin is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of linux-image-3.2.39kintaro is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of teamviewer is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of linux-headers-3.2.39kintaro is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of ia32-crossover is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of linux-image-3.2.39-amd64kintaro is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
or been moved out of Incoming.

 iceweasel : Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not installable
             Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not installable
             Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not installable
             Depends: xulrunner-22.0 (>= 22.0~b3-1) but it is not going to be installed

root@fekete:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main non-free contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main non-free contrib

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-beta

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free

I mostly want to reinstall everything to replace all the rc scripts used to lower the likelihood of any rootkits being installed, along with anything that has been messed with.

John Tate
--
www.johntate.org

--