Re: boot fails on wheezy (SOLVED)

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
>   the problem was with the BIOS boot sequence, and as far as I know,
>   this is totally independant of any OS.

You are correct.  The BIOS has an ordering.  The OS has an ordering.
They are separate software and will each do their own thing.  I have
often had problems with the BIOS disk ordering being different form
the OS disk ordering.

And worse is when the BIOS disk ordering is different from the silk
screen labeling on the motherboard.  The motherboard will have labels
for SATA1, SATA2, and so forth but I have had those be completely
different from the actual BIOS ordering.  In those cases I determined
the actual order by experimentation and noted it on the motherboard.
In another case a BIOS update changed the BIOS order from the previous
version.

>   the boot sequnce, which was since the installation, several years ago:
>
>     1 dvd drive
>     2 ST3250410AS
>
>     and I found it has been replaced with:
>     1 dvd drive
>     2 ST3750640AS
>
>  and the problem disappeared, without any change in grub,
>  as soon as I reverted to the original BIOS  boot sequence

Yes.  Makes sense.

>  So, my question is still: how can a boot sequence change, without entering
>  into BIOS at boot.

BIOS is software and there are often more bugs in the BIOS seen than
in any other part of the system.  The BIOS is almost always closed
source proprietary and almost never updated.  You would need to go
very much out of your way to update your BIOS.  You could submit this
bug to your vendor but how?  If you did would they fix it?  If they
fixed it how long would it take?  A year?  Would you wait a year for a
fix now that you have a workaround?

To avoid these problems there is the coreboot project to create
free(dom) BIOS software.  But as yet I have no hardware capable of
running it.  I wish I did though.

  http://www.coreboot.org/

Bob