Re: Dangerously high Load_Cycle_Count on my Thinkpad T61 Hitachi drive

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:54:09 -0300
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_hard_drive_clicking
> >
> > > 2) What should I do to attempt to preserve whatever life it has left?
> > > hdparm -B 254/255? Anything else?
> >
> > You need to issue that hdparm every time the box had any reason to change
> > power policy to be sure it stuck.  So make sure to reissue it when waking
> > up, and when AC power is connected/disconnected.
>
> Thanks. Any ideas about why the load cycle count is so high and
> increases so fast? I thought even -B 128 is a pretty standard value.
> And would you recommend 254 or 255?

It will unload the heads when left idle for a few seconds, presumably so as
to power off the head actuator.  Also, the HDD is much less prone to damage
due to shock when the heads are unloaded...

> As to where to put the hdparm invocations, I suppose that writing an
> "OnResume nn hdparm ..." directive in hibernate.conf will take care of
> issuing it on wakeup, and setting all *_HD_POWERMGMT=254 in
> laptop-mode.conf will take care of the AC power connect / disconnect
> cases?

Laptop mode was enough to deal with it on my T43, yes.  Note that I
configured it manually.

As for the 600k head unload limit on the Hitachi 7K60 and 7K100 HDDs, that
value comes directly from the data sheet.

  Henrique Holschuh