Re: RAID1 all bootable

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> Nonetheless, I'll try to digest your "manual". At this point, could
>> you also describe how to safely proceed, on this situation, to have
>> grub on both disks? It would be useful community wide, to complete
>> the raid1 installation from the Debian installer.
>
> As was already mentioned:
>
>   # grub-install /dev/sda # grub-install /dev/sdb
>
> Newer Debian installers will give the option to install to both disks
> but older ones do not.

I just did 2 reinstalls in the last two weeks (upgrade from sqeeze to
wheezy screwed up my grub config and then my 6 year old drives started
failing - so much fun :), but basically during both reinstalls and
creating MD devices with debian installer (md0/md1/md2) using two drives
sda/sdb, by default the installer just installed grub on MBR of the
first device sda. I didn't see an option to install it everywhere. So,
after reboot I did a manual
# grub-install /dev/sda
# grub-install /dev/sdb

Now when I choose to boot from either first disk or second disk, it
works fine.

Did I miss something during the debian installation? Why wasn't grub
automatically installed on both disks?

--
"We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others."