Re: Email suggestions

On 6/2/2013 3:20 AM, Guy Marcenac wrote:
Le 01/06/2013 21:37, Jerry Stuckle a écrit :

One question: I've been using mbox format because I like keeping the
incoming email out of the user's home directory.  Additionally, many
of the users never sign onto the system other than for email (i.e. no
ssh, ftp, etc.), so they really don't need a /home/xxxx directory.
However, it seems Maildir is becoming more common.  Which do you
think would be better?

Imap uses a nested directory structure within the Inbox for emails,
which of course you don't have to use, you can keep everything in the
Inbox. This directory structure maps perfectly to a filesystem
directory structure. There's no real difficulty mapping to mbox,
Thunderbird for example uses an mbox file for each imap directory.
This is the only change needed when switching exim4 to imap, by the
way, a directive to use Maildir. At the time I switched to imap, long
ago, Maildir was not optional, and it may still not be with all imap
servers.

Yes, my current system keeps mbox format in /var/mail.  Looking at
imap, it keeps each user's email in /home/~user/mail...  Personally I
like the former - it's easier to back everything up.  But I could deal
with the latter if necessary.

I use dovecot and it delivers how and where I want.
I manage a few virtual domains with this server.
I want the mail delivered in maildirs in /var/vmail/<domain>/<user>

this is done like this
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n

following an extract of the dovecot conf files

# If you're using mbox, giving a path to the INBOX file (eg. /var/mail/%u)
# isn't enough. You'll also need to tell Dovecot where the other
mailboxes are
# kept. This is called the "root mail directory", and it must be the first
# path given in the mail_location setting.
#
# There are a few special variables you can use, eg.:
#
#   %u - username
#   %n - user part in user@domain, same as %u if there's no domain
#   %d - domain part in user@domain, empty if there's no domain
#   %h - home directory
#
# See doc/wiki/Variables.txt for full list. Some examples:
#
#   mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
#   mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#   mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%1n/%n:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%1n/%n
#
# <doc/wiki/MailLocation.txt>
#

Thanks for the info, Guy. Looks like it might work. Now I just have to see if Exim supports it.

Back into the docs :)