Re: telling apt-get not to remove potentially useful packages?

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 01:12:46AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2013-06-02 07:08:53 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 03:16:32PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > How can I tell apt-get not to break the system by removing
> > > potentially useful packages?
> >
> > By using "apt-get upgrade" instead of "apt-get dist-upgrade"
>
> I had problems with "apt-get upgrade" in the past. I don't remember
> what, but this may be what the apt-get man page describes: "under no
> circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
> not already installed retrieved and installed." This is not what I
> want. For instance, it should be fine to remove transitional packages.

"apt-get upgrade" should upgrade all possible packages without removing
any, *then* use "apt-get dist-upgrade", this will allow you to carefully
review the actions and decide to whether to accept them or not.

> > Have you got an example of where this is a concern?
>
> For instance, "apt-get dist-upgrade" says that apache2.2-common
> libapache2-svn will be removed (due to the 2.2 -> 2.4 apache2
> transition). It is not OK, because libapache2-svn should not be
> removed. Using "apt-get upgrade" isn't OK either, because if I
> understand correctly, it will never accept to remove apache2.2-common
> (as this is a 2.2 related package as its name says).

So you need libapache2-svn, but there is no replacement if you accept
the 2.2 -> 2.4 apache2 transition?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X