Re: WDIDLE.EXE use on WD10EZRX disk (SOLVED)

On 05/30/2013 12:34 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all,
I have found multiple warnings about Linux and the short head parking time of the WD Green drives. I have seen multiple instances of the use of the wdidle.exe package to reset this to say 30 seconds. But Western Digital emphatically states that that utility in only for about 3 "not-WD10EZRX" drives. Is this utility safe to use on the drive in question or not?

Gary R.

Hi all,
Thanks for the help. The real fix is as follows:
1. The WD hard disks really are set to an 8 second head time out. Three of my disks were beating themselves to death. This was determined by installing smartmontools and running smartctl -a /dev/yourdrive. Find the section of the print out that has "Power On Hours" and "Load Cycle Count". If the "Load Cycle Count" ( the number of head dockings) is a lot greater than the "Power On Hours" you have a problem. 2. Install idle3-tools and run idle3ctl -g /dev/sd?. This will printout the idle3 timer. Run idle3ctl -h to find out the settings and rerun idle3ctl -s <number> /dev/sd? to reset the number. Eighty is equiv to 8 seconds 129 is equiv to 30 seconds. I set my HDDs to 60 seconds. Turn the system off for about 10 seconds and reboot. Fixed.

Gary R