Re: Reinstall nouveau driver

Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 31 May 2013 11:13:52 -0700
> Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to Wheezy, I attempted to install an nvidia driver.
>> It didn't work (X didn't come up).  I managed to revert to using the
>> nouveau driver, by removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which mostly works.
>> However, I'm having an issue rendering some 3D stuff that used to work
>> before the upgrade (I'm pretty sure I was using the nouveau driver
>> with Squeeze).  Do I need to reinstall/reconfigure the nouveau
>> driver?  What is the proper way to do so?
>
> Did you use nvidia-xconfig to create your xorg.conf? The debian
> packaged nvidia driver works well for me.

When I first upgraded to Wheezy, I believe that is what I did (used
nvidia-xconfig to create xorg.conf) and was unable to start X.  This
time, after installing an nvidia driver using

sudo aptitude -s install nvidia-kernel-dkms install linux-headers-amd64

I manually created /etc/xorg.conf.d using the directions at
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers.

All went well.  After a reboot, X started, the 3D stuff is working,
scrolling in chrome is a lot faster.  Fonts have changed slightly, it
seems.  I wouldn't say for the better but I'll adapt soon enough.

Only thing I've noticed that is obviously worse is that the virtual
terminal font is now big and ugly.  I recall that the same occured when
I previously tried an nvidia driver in Squeeze.

--
Joe Riel