Re: strange authentication request (GNOME)

On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:16:36 +0100
Matej Kosik <5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this some new dpkg/apt frontend or something unrelated?

 Hi.

Yep, new one. Called PackageKit, brought to you by the same people, who are
responsible for PulseAudio, ConsoleKit, GNOME3 and systemd. Whenever is a good
or a bad thing is in the eyes of beholder.

The story is like this:

long time ago Debian got itself dpkg(1).
RedHat got rpm(1).

Next, Debian got tasksel, and it was good.
RedHat thought it is not enterprisey enough to install a bunch of packages at
once, so they passed.

Then, Debian got apt-get, and it was excellent.
RedHat guys and gals wrote a horrible abomination called up2date. Short of
being enterprisey, it lacked any positive qualities.

Then, Debian got aptitude, and couple of years later RedHat was like 'up2date is
bad, we need something else, let's borrow yum from one of our derivatives'. yum
usually gets the job done, if you don't mind wait a little.

Finally, Debian got GUI for dpkg as synaptic (for GTK people) and adept (for KDE
people).
RedHat got nothing worthy of speaking.

Four or five years since then RedHat said 'we need GUI for installing rpms, as
it is new enterprisey trend now' (add usual 'lowers TCO' and 'adds ROI'
speeches). So they wrote that PackageKitty, which claims to be a universal
package installer for any Linux distribution known.

tl;dr; version: install synaptic, use it.

Reco