lost USB hot-plugging ability

Recently I deleted MATE as a desktop environment, as I didn't feel comfortable running it as its 'unsupported'. Since then I've lost the ability to 'hot-plug' all my usb devices [keyboard, mouse, 3 external hard drives]. Now, when I reboot, I have to physically unplug and plug back in again each device before its recognized by the system and works as it should.

Can anyone advise me on on how to regain the usb hot-plugging please?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/index.html
Debian Wheezy,  Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.0.3.3,