Re: (X/Xmonad) us-intl, some dead keys do not work in terminal emulator

Franco, 16.05.2013:
> Hello Debianer, I have a problem with US-international keyboard
> layout and X (I use Xmonad as WM).
>
> As you know, dead keys like '`' allow you to make combinations
> such as '`'+'e'='è'.
>
> This works in any X application (midori, etc.), but *not* in terminal
> emulators (like xterm, urxvt).

Are you looking for the "compose" feature, that works using a key like
the left windows key (lwin)?  In this case, you would have to press the
'lwin' key before (or at the same time as) '`'+'e'.

> I poked a bit at the config files, with no luck. What do?
>
> setxkbmap -print leads to:
>
> xkb_keymap {
> 	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
> 	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
> 	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
> 	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us(intl)+inet(evdev)"	};
> 	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
> };

You should be able to add the compose feature with the command

setxkbmap -symbols "pc+us(intl)+inet(evdev)+compose(lwin)"

If you want to use a key other than lwin, have a look in the file
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/compose