Re: Use case for aptitude-{create,run}-state-bundle ?

On Sb, 18 mai 13, 00:13:42, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On May 17, 2013, at 7:30 PM, sp113438 wrote:
> >
> >#!/bin/bash
> >datetag=$(date +%Y-%m-%d_-_%H:%M:%S)
> >
> >dpkg --get-selections > /root/dpkglist-$datetag.txt
> >
> >On second machine:
> >## dpkg --set-selections < /root/dpkglist-$datetag.txt
> >## apt-get dselect-upgrade
> >
> >should do the cloning job.

Not quite. First, this sequence of commands only transfers the
'installed/uninstalled' state of a package, so it looses information.
This information may or may not be important to you, but it still isn't
"cloning".

Second, there has been a change in dpkg behaviour as of wheezy and AFAIR
additional steps are needed, you might want to look it up.

> That's interesting, and even useful.  Thanks!  It's something I
> didn't know and have often wondered about.
>
> Nevertheless, it still doesn't answer the first question: What
> useful thing is done by aptitude-create-state-bundle ?

I've only encountered those commands when aptitude maintainers were
asking for more information on difficult bugs, but as far as I can tell
from the man pages they should do what you think they do, including
information about manually/automatically installed and such.

You might be interested in apt-clone as well.

Kind regards,
Andrei