Re: audit security

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 20:12 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 14 May 2013 at 20:22:08 +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
>
> > Hi all :-)
> >
> > What should be use to audit security (with email notification) for debian?
>
> Apart from subscribing to debian-security-announce?
>
> > (with FreeBSD I've portaudit: check from external db security hole from
> > my packages installed and send an email)
>
> I do not understand this but you may very well have it on FreeBSD.

http://www.debian.org/security/

FreeBSD is very outdated regarding to software, that has got advantages
and drawbacks. It also does separate basic software from other user
space software, perhaps comparable to Arch's core repository.

For a Linux it's usually needed to get all updates, for Debian this
isn't dangerous, no version hunting, comparable to FreeBSD, Debian tend
to be outdated and you often need other distros to build latest software
versions.

Arch for example is a rolling release, close to latest releases from
upstream, but it anyway is safe, since there's a testing first and a
separation of core components.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Repositories#.5Bcore.5D

My FreeBSD install isn't maintained and isn't used at the moment.
Maintaining 2 or 3 Linux installs is less work than maintaining one
FreeBSD install ;).

For Debian and other distros using DEBs, periodically run:

"apt-get update

Run this command after changing /etc/apt/sources.list
or /etc/apt/preferences . For information
regarding /etc/apt/preferences, see PinningHowto. Run this command
periodically to make sure your source list is up-to-date. This is the
equivalent of "Reload" in Synaptic or "Fetch updates" in Adept.

apt-get upgrade

This command upgrades all installed packages. This is the equivalent of
"Mark all upgrades" in Synaptic." -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

For people who can use a GUI I recommend to use Synaptic.

Regards,
Ralf