Re: Debian 7 + Asterisk + Virtualbox excruciatingly slow after upgrade

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:25:34AM -0700, Ernie Dunbar wrote:
> We have a Debian virtual machine (hardware: Dual-core Xeon at
> 2.4Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 2 GB of which is dedicated to the Debian VM)
> that's been running our Asterisk PBX for some time. Before Wheezy
> came out, it was doing reasonably well at its job, but now that
> we've upgraded to Wheezy, it's ridiculously slow, with load averages
> topping 15 on a regular basis. Naturally, at this server load, doing
> anything tests one's patience.
>
> Is this due to the new kernel, or the new version of Asterisk? The
> Asterisk version went from 1.6 to 1.8, and I recall that 1.8 is more
> of a resource hog than the previous version... however, we also have
> another Debian server (running Squeeze) with Xeon processors (4
> cores in total, but the same generation of Xeons), and Asterisk 1.8
> never uses more than about 40% of *one* CPU.
>
> I have few other clues as to what might be causing this problem,
> although the PHP upgrade also seems to be causing other, unrelated
> issues. Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem better than I
> already have?

Load average is a nebulous thing, but I would start by looking at top,
iotop and so on, to see if some resources is being used excessively. If
nothing is obvious, then it may be that the system is busy waiting for
things (e.g. you might not be seeing a lot of I/O throughput but that
could be because the disks are being slow. Or you might not be seeing a
lot of CPU usage, because there's a lot of context switching/interrupts
going on).

Ultimately, you could try installing a monitoring package such as munin,
collectd, ganglia etc. and see if they show any issues.