Re: Wheezy missing IDE modules

On 2013-05-13 04:08 +0200, rlwbonsai wrote:

> Upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy resulted in stuttering video when
> trying to watch a DVD movie with gxine.  (The upgrade left totem
> totally unusable so don't know if the stutter occurs or not) The
> drive is an ATA/ATAPI-4 compliant drive capable of UDMA2.
> Booting into the default i386 kernel results in three 'fatal'
> error messages stating can't find or load modules ide-cd,
> ide-disk and ide-generic.

These modules are not provided because they have been obsoleted by
Libata.  I very much doubt the Squeeze kernel uses them on your system.

The error messages come from modprobe, probably because the missing
modules are listed in /etc/modules.

> The hard drive and DVD drive
> function.  Can't find a package in the Wheezy repository to
> provide these modules. Booting into the Squeeze default kernel
> which has these modules results in perfect video rendering.
> Playing the video from a USB stick results in perfect
> rendering.  Has Debian abandoned support for IDE drives?

Of course not.  You could try a newer kernel, say 3.8 from unstable,
and/or file a bug report.

Cheers,
       Sven