Re: Re: installing from iso on partition to another partition, avoiding all access to usb

On Wed 08 May 2013 at 21:40:56 +0200, Julian Rüger wrote:

> 1. Booting from USB flash, USB hard drive, or internal hd, is basically
> all the same. You first need to install grub2 on it. If you already have
> a running system with grub2 on the hd you want to boot the installer
> from, you can skip this step.

I have so I did. It is on an ext4 filesystem

> Let's assume your to-be install partition is /dev/sdb1 (file system
> should not matter, can be fat32 on USB for example, or any fs linux
> supports). You don't need to format this partition. For example mount it
> as /media/install.
>
> Install grub2 (as root) with:
>
> # grub-install /dev/sdb --root-directory=/media/install
>
> This will install grub into the MBR of sdb, which you will later use
> your BIOS boot menu to boot from, and create a
> folder /media/install/boot.
>
> 2. Now copy the .iso, or since there's this problem I encountered
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/05/msg00291.html) it's easier
> to unpack the contents of the iso to /media/install/debian_iso

I did this, although usually I extract only the kernel and the initrd.

> 3. Edit /media/install/boot/grub/grub.cfg and add the Debian installer
> entry.
>
> If you use your current system's grub, add it to the very bottom. (In
> this case, any update-grub, i.e. from a kernel-update of your running
> system will overwrite it again)
>
> The entry should look like this:
>
> menuentry "Debian 7.0 wheezy installer, x86_64" {
> 	linux /debian_iso/install.amd/vmlinuz priority=low vga=788 --
> 	initrd /debian_iso/install.amd/initrd.gz
> }

I have a special cfg file for ISO booting but what went into it was
essentially the same as this stanza.

> 4. Shutdown, press your BIOS boot-menu key (F10-F12 on most machines)
> and select the disk that was /dev/sdb before.
>
> The Debian installer should come up, you can select language, locale and
> stuff and it should "fail to detect the CD-ROM" at some point.

Ok up to here.

> 5. Now Press Alt+F2 and Enter to get into Busybox's shell.
>
> Mount your installer partition (careful, it might not be /dev/sdb1 any
> more, check with ls /dev/sd*)
>
> # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

I didn't expect this to work and indeed it didn't. My understanding is
that an ext* module is not available in the installer at this stage of
the install. 'cat /proc/filesystems' shows only the expected vfat and
iso9660 filesystems.