Re: Multiarch -- In Place Upgrade to 64bit

On Wednesday, 08 May, 2013 22:45:23 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> On Wed 08 May 2013 at 20:05:24 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > Is there now an in-place method to upgrade a Debian Sid box to 64 bit?
>
> Hey, guess what 'upgrade 32 bit debian to 64 bit' brings up in a search
> engine?
>
>    http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> A wiki page! And in its conclusion it says:
>
>    I've done this procedure many times beleive it or not, it's safe,
>    real geeks could even enjoy it. And if you failed (but you would not!)
>    then you could still install the system in the way you would done
>    without this guide.
>
> There you are. Try it and contribute your experience. Thumbs up or
> thumbs down?

I tried something akin to this last year (before multiarch). debootstrap'd a
64 bit system, installed all the packages, moved around my /bin, etc. Went to
rescue, resymlinked /lib, etc. The thing actually booted. Fonts were screwed
up an kde would not start correctly. Went to rescue, undid all the moves and
after a fashion, undid any lingering "damage."

No, I mean something using multiarch. I would go to 64 bit, period, but would
even try something like: Boot 64-bit kernel, check boot command, uname, script
symlinks to 64 bit bins, libs with fallback paths to 32; boot 32bit, the
opposite.