after upgrade, cannot su or sudo

I just upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy.  I haven't rebooted yet for fear
that things will get worse...

Currently my system seems to be working fine except that I can't su or
sudo from my regular user.  I can log in as root.  My users are all LDAP
authenticated.

I took care to properly update the sudoers file, so I don't think that's
the problem.  I suspect pam, but I haven't been able to nail it down
yet.

My new /etc/pam.d/su is identical to my old one.  My new /etc/pam.d/sudo
contains the new lines:

session required pam_permit.so
session required pam_limits.so

Both the su and sudo files have:

@include common-auth
@include common-account

But my new and old versions of those files are identical.  My other
common-* files are identical as well.

So maybe I just talked myself out of believing this is a a pam
problem...

Back to LDAP.  I saw some reference to unscd as a possible replacement
for nscd.  I doubt LDAP is my real problem here, because local logins
and ssh password logins work find.

Any suggestions where to look next?

-Rob