Where are all the secrets kept? Re: Partially encrypted backup?

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 03:34:09PM -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> I do not know your level of expertise and if your somewhat abstract
> description of the trust issue is a demonstration of high-level
> understanding of Unix file system tree + encryption + networks or just
> playful thought.

I spent a while looking around with find -perm and concluded that there are
lots of world-unreadable files that need no very special treatment -- in
cact, just leaving the out of the backup would do fine -- things like
browser caches.  using find -perm to make a list of files to be
encrypted and feeding it into rsync-backup doesn't look great.  I wonder
just how many exceptions rdiff-backup will tolerate.  Hundreds of
thousands?

> That in mind, if you are not running a cluster of servers, it would be
> doable using duplicity and the list of "public" directories or rather
> "private" ones. That, assuming you at least have a vague idea of which
> files you wish to remain unencrypted/encrypted an is not looking for a
> file permissions aware general solution. For this, you could use
> duplicity --include "$SHELL_PATTERN" or --exclude "$SHELL_PATTERN".

It looks as if I'm going to have to identify the private things
explicitly, by hand.  And I'll probably miss one and have a potential
security leak.  Let's see.  Private keys are kept by ssh, by monotone,
... maybe a few more.  monotone keeps them encrypted with a passphrase,
so that's already OK.  Except in the monotone server, where it's kept in
a read-protected script.  Not so sure of ssh.  Where does it keep the
stuff?   And the the browsers have password stores.  How do they keep
the passwords out of sight?  Or do they?  Chromium aske me for a
password to access the password store.  But I don't remember firefox
doing the same.

> BTW, duplicity uses rdiff as a backend so if you wish to keep previous
> rdiff backups,

rdiff-backup keeps old and new backups using some kind of backwward
differencing.  It's not just a matter of using rdiff or rsync to copy
things over.