Re: Pioneer BDR-*206* Internal Blu-Ray Disc DVD/CD writer and Debian

Hi,

> > xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -map ./my_disk_file /my_iso_file
> It burned a 13.4E+09 byte video file in 431 seconds -- 31+ MB/s. :-)

So the drive and the operating system together are ready to burn
BD media. The installed Brasero seems to be too old resp. runs
into a known (and said to be harmless) growisofs bug.

Brasero in Debian 7 might use libburn rather than growisofs for
BD media. In that case it would use the same backend as xorriso.
(One can still use it wrongly. But that would be a new problem.)

31 MB/s needs a strong CPU and a good transport bus.
libburn has some latency between each packet of 64 KB data and
also cannot get the same priority as Linux block i/o.
The faster the CPU, the shorter are the periods of wasted time.

Your video file was wrapped by xorriso in a ISO 9660 filesystem.
Entertainment video players (if old) might insist in a UDF filesystem.
One would then have to use genisoimage to produce the filesystem.
xorriso could still serve as burn program:

  genisoimage ...options.for.UDF.video... | \
  xorriso -as cdrecord -v -eject dev=/dev/sr0 -

You can probably learn the needed genisoimage options from
the logs of GUI programs. Usually they tell what "mkisofs" options
were used.

Multi-session with UDF will only work on BD-R but not on BD-RE.
I am not sure whether multi-session works with UDF at all.
One surely can write it. Question is what readers will do with it.

So probably you should put all desired files into the filesystem
by one single genisoimage run and not use cdrecord option -multi.

> >  xorriso -dev /dev/sr0 -map ./some_disk_directory /some_iso_directory

> Adding a small text file (checksum.md5) file took 21 seconds.

Keep in mind that adding a session is quite an expensive operation.
It causes a complete directory tree to be written. My newer BD drive
reliably bails out on BD-R with a "CD CONTROL ERROR" after session
120 and before session 130. (I had it at 128, 124, and 126.)
The old data are still readable. But new data cannot be added.

With BD-RE, it has no such problem. Well, on this media type the
session stuff is emulated by payload data. The drive does not
know how many sessions were added. It only sees one big track.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas