Re: Can't access gateway IP

On 5/4/2013 1:28 PM, s0lid wrote:
> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, same result with static.

>>> no firewall running
>>
>> Ping the Debian 607 server from the router.  Result?
>
> It can. I also can access it from my laptop going to the same router.
>

>> BTW, which consumer router is this?  You may have hit a firmware bug.
>
> i have a hunch it is, i just don't have another router to test on.
> This is a Zyxel whitelabeled to my telco so the firmware is custom
> made for my telco also.

Is this a Zyxel 660R by chance?  ADSL2+ router?  I've had nothing but
problems with mine in router mode.  It's an OEM Embarq unit.  It works
fine in bridged mode.  My SMC 7008ABR rackmount SOHO
router/firewall/print server recently failed--after more than 8 years of
flawless operation.

So I configured the Zyxel/Embarq 660 for router mode and began creating
NAT and firewall rules.  It was a PITA.  Every 60 seconds it requires
that you reenter the password, and thus you lose anything you just
configured if it took longer than 60 seconds.  Forcing a user to be time
rushed when creating firewall rules is just insane.  Then...

The last thing I did in the web GUI was create a TCP 25 egress filter
rule.  Upon saving the rule, the router inexplicably locked out all
access, even on the telnet interface.  Everything else still works, I
just can't get back in.  To fix this will require resetting the device
to factory defaults, again, which will require recreating all of the
existing rules, again.  The 660 actually has nice features.  Too bad
this OEM model is so flaky it's impossible to actually configure and use
the damn thing.

You're in a similar OEM situation.  Cut your losses, configure it for
bridge mode, and use an aftermarket router, as I will be doing shortly.

I've read the specs on a few models, and I think I'll probably acquire
the TP-Link TL-R402M based on features, price, and reviews--currently
$17 at Newegg.  I've long since replaced the switch and print server
functions of the SMC with other products, and I already have a POE
wireless AP, so there's no reason to spend a lot on a replacement
router.  I'll miss the remote syslog facility of the SMC, but that one
feature isn't worth the ~3x greater price of the next cheapest unit that
offers it.

--
Stan