upgrading mysql -> mariadb...A cleaner way?

Hi,

Over the past couple of weeks, I have converted a couple of boxes from mysql to mariadb, citing concerns with oracle's irresponsible handling of mysql. (There was another no-authentication exploit fixed in the massive patch cluster last week.)

I have come up with a method of upgrading from mysql 5.5 to mariadb 5.5, but it's kinda clunky and ugly, and I was wondering if anyone had a better way. This is the procedure I have developed over the two or three times I have done (or tried) it.

1. Set up /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mariadb.list:

# MariaDB 5.5 repository list - created 2013-04-08 22:43 UTC
# http://mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/
deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mariadb/repo/5.5/debian wheezy main
deb-src http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mariadb/repo/5.5/debian wheezy main

Note that this is from the mariadb site, as are the debs.

2. Set up /etc/apt/preferences.d/mariadb:

Package: *
Pin: origin ftp.osuosl.org
Pin-Priority: 1000

I'm sure the pinning is probably not optimal, but it worked in this case...

3. You then have to download the following debs

libmariadbclient18_5.5.30-mariadb1~wheezy_i386.deb
libmariadbd-dev_5.5.30-mariadb1~wheezy_i386.deb
libmysqlclient18_5.5.30-mariadb1~wheezy_i386.deb
mariadb-common_5.5.30-mariadb1~wheezy_all.deb

These debs have to be installed using dpkg, because for whatever reason, the libmysqlclient18 deb from mariadb will not install via apt-get install, and I generally try not to force anything. So I download and dpkg -i them, then I am able to apt-get install the rest, in this particular case,

libmariadbclient-dev
libmariadbclient18
libmariadbd-dev
libmysqlclient18
mariadb-client-5.5
mariadb-client-core-5.5
mariadb-common
mariadb-server-5.5
mariadb-server-core-5.5

So does anyone see any way to make my installs less clunky?

Thanks,
--b