Re: touch /var/lib/sudo/$USER / use sudo when unlocking xscreensaver (xfce)

On 4/24/13, Wolfgang Karall <lists+debian-user@karall-edv.at> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:22:23AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> I run sid XFCE, and have some keyboard shortcuts for
>> docked-with-external-monitor, no-external-monitor (.screenlayout
>> files) and corresponding networking configs.
>>
>> In rc.local, I put touch /var/lib/sudo/{my-usr} and I find this very
>> convenient.

This means when I first log in (by entering my password), sudo is
'active' for a few minutes, so when I run a script to get my external
monitor working, it requires sudo, which also requires my password.

But I just entered my password! So, I want a timeout for sudo, but
when I enter my password, that should be the trigger to 'activate'
sudo for a few minutes.

>> I would like the same in principle, when unlocking xscreensaver.
>>
>> Anyone know how to achieve this, or if it's possible without hacking some
>> code?
>
> If I understand you correctly, you never want to type a password when
> running your commands with sudo?

Not quite. I want sudo 'activated' when I enter my password.

Ie, when I log in to XFCE, or when I unlock the xscreensaver, I have
in both cases just entered my password. So because I just entered my
password, I expect sudo to be 'activated'.

I don't want sudo active at all times - I want the timeout, so if I
leave my workstation, sudo (after a few minutes), or the xscreensaver
requires my password again. But when I unlock the screen, particularly
after coming out of hibernation, I must reinitialize my network and
external monitor (to make them work properly - I have scripts to do
this, but they require sudo, which requires a password, and entering
my password at the xscreensaver unlock screen, does not activate sudo.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Zenaan