Re: Information not on relavant man page - where to find on WEB?

Bob Proulx wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I often do not have available a functioning Linux system, thus my
need for web based source of information.

The FreeBSD man page site is an excellent source for online web access
to various system man pages.  More than just FreeBSD.  They are
hosting the service but include access to many other systems man
pages.  Unfortunately Debian is not among them.  But I mention it for
you in your quest for online man pages.

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

Debian man pages are provided here at this site:

   http://manpages.debian.net/

My current problem is proper use of dpkg-scanpackages. I need
examples of its typical and atypical use. I need those to give me
the background for a sensible question.

The online debian man page for dpkg-scanpackages is available here:

   http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dpkg-scanpackages&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+6.0+squeeze&format=html&locale=en

Where I started ;)

The Debian wiki is also a good source of information.  Follow the
links through from it and you will find a HOWTO document on it.

   http://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository

It had given me just enough to tantalize.

As an alternative many people use other package pool management
systems.  Such as reprepro.  I have converted over to using it and am
happy with it.

I saw that mentioned in passing once. This time I browsed its man page. By the breadth of options it may be overkill but it appears capable. I am impressed with the additional documentation available. So far I've had a quick look at
http://wiki.debian.org/SettingUpSignedAptRepositoryWithReprepro
http://www.jejik.com/articles/2006/09/setting_up_and_managing_an_apt_repository_with_reprepro/ http://git.debian.org/?p=mirrorer/reprepro.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/manual.html;hb=HEAD
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=mirrorer/reprepro.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/FAQ;hb=HEAD

A detailed read and link following should keep me occupied for a while.
There are advantages to retirement ;)
Thanks.

Bob