Re: Will unix ever get out of dependency hell

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 20:59 +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Why on earth does so much of the default desktops depend on polkit when
> very little breaks when it is disabled!
>
> I think some important principles have been forgotten...or  never
> learnt in the first place in these 'modern' times.

The upstream folks and packages builders of many distros seem not to use
what they make by them self. "Forgotten", it was better in the past.
There are many famous example, my favourite still is pulseaudio, since I
once switched to Debian, because pulseaudio wasn't a hard dependency for
GNOME2, while it was a hard dependency for most other distros. A few
days later I needed to update, this also caused an update from GNOME2 to
GNOME3 and pulseaudio became a hard dependency for GNOME, by Debian too.
That this break sound on my _audio production machine_ wasn't the most
worse ;), but this is another story of insane policies.
While applications for linux became better and better, the environment
to run those applications, became more and more worse.