Re: NAS raid with Debian?

On 4 April 2013 14:05, Nigel Roberts <nigel@nobiscuit.com> wrote:
> Marvell Kirkwood SoC

Is it the SoC or the Switch chipset doing the heavy lifting there?
What conditions do you get that throughput? The Kirkwood SoC's are a
bit better than some of the rubbish out there, it is important to note
that there are some good Marvel SoC's (i.e Kirkwood) and some Rubbish
ones (i.e Amarda) I have seen them flail for instance with high
numbers of IO writes (for instance bit-torrent, DRBD backing store,
NFS as VM backing store)  on synology X12. - Don't get me going on
QNAP's

Given it is a different arch, less hardware, less expandable etc I
simply can't recommend people use them given you can build an x86_64
low TPW style system for less than 200$ (NZ dollars). You do have the
advantages that you get an all in one unit so there is that.