Re: need advice on remote installation of Debian

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:10:40PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i am living in a remote country and our main branch is in US where
> hosting is very expensive. it is almost costing us $4000K for a kind
> of setup we need therefore being a small company we decided to build
> our own hosting platform for our virtualized environment just for
> demoing our application to our customers and server will be reside in
> US office. now what is coming in my head is how will i install debian
> remotely.
>

> Since we have 1 technical resource their with almost no Linux
> experience so i think for just installing Debian squeeze i had to
> spoon feed him from very basic which i don't want.
>
> an idea comes in my head and how practical  is it. that is where i
> need your advice.
>
> i am planning to create a bootable USB stick from Debian squeeze and
> then i will take the backup and send it to US office where he (our
> tech guy) just has to use clonzilla or any other image software to
> restore that data on another same space USB. and then has to boot the
> server from it. after all that i will definitly get (pre-configured)
> ssh console. i will further setup the local hard drives by he help of
> consoles.
>
> does it sound good. or i would face any issue in long term. if you
> think it is fine. then my question is how. i never done this before
> and easy to implement advice/suggestion will be highly appreciated if
> any.

Why not just configure a Debian system at your location, and then ship
the hard drive to be installed in the system at the remote location.
This typically works just fine, with the worst problems being things
like new names for your network device and cdrom (eth0 becomes eth1,
/dev/cdrom becomes /dev/cdrom2).  But even that is preventable by
deleting certain files in /dev/udev/rules.d.

-Rob