Re: Run script at boot time

On 20/03/13 19:24, Joe wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:53:09 +0000
> Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>
>> On 20/03/13 14:29, Adam Wolfe wrote:
>>> I'd go with /etc/rc.local
>>> That's what it is for.

> If you just need to run something at boot *after* particular things are
> done, and it doesn't matter what else has been done, this is the best
> way.

<snip useful information re init.d>

Unfortunately, that solution didn't seem to work.

Indeed, in this instance, it doesn't matter when the script is run,
except that the network must be running, so on the face of it, rc.local
would fit the bill.

I placed the line /usr/sbin/ltsp_update_sshkeys in /etc/rc.local, but
after I rebooted, I needed to run it manually to set the host keys. I
don't know whether the utility didn't run, or didn't run at the right
time, or failed.

Perhaps I should explain a bit about what I'm trying to achieve. LTSP is
a thin-client server for Linux. After boot-up, the clients communicate
over an ssh tunnel with the server, using a key-based authentication
mechanism. After certain upgrades, it seems that these keys need
resetting, for which LTSP provides the aforementioned utility.

I don't understand why I need to run it, as the server has a static ip
address, but some kernel upgrades also affect it. After a reboot, the
terminal users start moaning about not being able to log in, and I have
to run (as root) the utility. This is not always convenient, resulting
in some downtime.

My imagined solution was to run the utility after each boot-up, but as
you see, no such luck. Ideally I'd prefer to fix the underlying need to
update the host keys, but I've no idea where to start.

Cheers,

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |