Re: /var/mail permission change from squeeze to wheezy

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> i noticed that permissions of /var/mail dir have changed from squeeze to
> wheezy.

There has been no change there that I can see.

> in squeeze i have
>
>  $ ls -lsa
> total 60
>  4 drwxrwsrwt  2 root mail  4096 Mar 21 09:00 .

That is not a stock Squeeze 6 installation.  Nor stock Lenny 5.  That
must have been a local change that you made.

> and in wheezy
>
>  $ ls -lsa
> total 60
>  4 drwxrwsr-x  2 root mail  4096 Mar 21 09:00 .

That is normal for many versions of Debian.  Probably all of them but
I don't know how far back.  At least to Lenny.  I just looked at an
old Sarge 3.1 system (yes, still running) and the permissions were the
same there too.

I think the permissions on /var/mail are fine.

> the changes causes my emacs vm not being able to remove my emails from
> /var/mail when it has copied them to my local folder.

Ah...  "movemail"  You have modified your system at some time in the
past.  It has been a while since I have use movemail but as I recall
that program has two installation configuration setups.  One is to
make the progam set group id mail.  The other is to open up the mail
spool directory.  It appears you have opened up the mail spool
directory and are using a non-set-gid mail version of movemail.

But if you are using emacs vm then shouldn't you be using the emacs
version of movemail which is set-group-id mail?  I think that is the
root of your problem.

On my system:

  $ ls -l /usr/lib/emacs/*/*/movemail
  -rwxr-sr-x 1 root mail 27152 Sep  8  2012 /usr/lib/emacs/23.4/x86_64-linux-gnu/movemail
  -rwxr-sr-x 1 root mail 31240 Jan 20 16:07 /usr/lib/emacs/24.2/x86_64-linux-gnu/movemail

Looks okay to me.  Works for me.

> i don't know if this is a bug or feature and if bug, which package i
> should file a bug report against.

I would file the bug with you that your emacs configuration in your
$HOME/.emacs is incorrectly using the wrong version of movemail. :-)

Try it with 'emacs -q' and see if it works from a stock configuration
without your local modifications.  If so then you know it the problem
is in your .emacs file.

Look in your .emacs for a configuration that is telling it to use the
mailutils version of movemail and not the emacs one.  This might be as
simple as removing the mailutils package.

Bob