RE: Installer not reading preseed.cfg

>I just remembered, I'm using a linux 5 template ('Guest OS: Debian GNU/Linux 5 (64-bit)') to install Debian 6. not sure if that's causing the issue, somehow. (I'm using ESXi 4.0 server, which is quite old and it doesn't support
> 'Debian GNU/Linux 6' as one of the templates). Let me try with a Debian 5 ISO and see if the installer can find the disk..

I was in fact (unknowingly) using a Debian 5 ISO over a 'Debian GNU/Linux 5 (64-bit)' template which was causing it not to get me into the shell on root partition file system. Now, with a debian-6.0.7-amd64-netinst.iso, I was able to get to shell on the root file system in rescue mode.
Then I ran `update-initramfs -u -v` followed by `update-grub`. They both appear to run fine (without showing any errors) though I didn't understand much about why they needed to be run.. Is there anything in the output that I should be looking for?
I tried running the preseed file again after this but the installer stopped at the same place as before ("No root file system found").
perhaps, I should try recreating a new initramfs? (`update-initramfs -d` followed by `update-initramfs -c`)?