Re: problem with apt repository

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2013-03-18 21:54 +0100, Eugen Wintersberger wrote:

  I have a problem with one of my private apt repositories. I created
the repo using reprepro on my public www directory. I can access the repository with my browser (you can find it below
http://www.desy.de/~wintersb/apt/debian ). After adding some packages I
tried to add a new line to sources.list
deb http://www.desy.de/~wintersb/apt/debian testing main

However, during 'apt-get update' I get the following error message

W: Failed to fetch http://www.desy.de/~wintersb/apt/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://www.desy.de/~wintersb/apt/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What is more surprising is the fact that I can download the Packages
file with wget using the URLs in the error messages. Does anyone have an
idea what I did wrong. I am fairly new to this entire repository
business. best regards Eugen

PS: the repository resides on an AFS file system - could this cause the

No, it's a misconfiguration in your webserver.  Unlike wget, apt encodes
the tilde ("~") in the URI as %7e, and the webserver returns a 404 error
on that.  This seems to be in violation of RFC 3986¹.

Cheers,
       Sven

¹ http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

Neat clue Sven!