slow hibernate for Debian kernels

Hi,

I always hibernate my desktop to be able to take off from where I left off after powering off.

In doing so I discovered that the speed with which the system goes into
hibernation does not so much depend upon the number of pages involved, although it does to a degree, but especially upon the kernel.

If you use a stock Debian kernel hibernation speed will be slow as molasses. If you use a non-Debian kernel the speed will be 3 times faster...

The following graph compares the hibernation speeds of 2 kernels: 3.2.0-4-amd64 (labelled 3204DH) and 3.8.1-nodeb-amd64 (labelled 381NH). The former is the stock kernel for sid/wheezy, the latter is my own 3.8.1 kernel.

http://uppix.net/9/5/6/80074a627c6c837dfbba872b3bd28.jpg

Each hibernate/resume event shows a blue symbol and a red symbol, blue is for the read (=resume) speed and red for the write (=hibernate) speed.

Note that the reads, resumes, are more or less similar for both kernels, but the hibernates are about 3 times slower for the Debian kernel.

I would love to know why.

Hugo