Re: KDE4 - wrong root password?

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 21:57 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> since some time I discovered a strange behaviour. Whenever I want to kill a
> process, or need root privileges (i.e. with kdesu) and I need to enter my root
> password, this is not accepted.
>
> But - when I use the password of the user I am working with in this cases, it
> will work. This is very strange! The normal user can do things, that root
> cannot do (only in KDE).
>
> I admit, it might be a setting problem in KDE, but I cannot remember, to
> configure or change anything related to this behavior.
>
> Can someone give me a clue, what I can check, to get back to normal behavior?
>
> This problem appears only on my amd64-machine, my other two machines are
> working fine.

This behavior isn't limited to KDE or Debian. It started many years ago,
a long time before we got all that annoying crap. Perhaps you don't know
what I mean with "annoying crap", since Debian is not as up to date, as
many other distros are. Expect much more annoyance in the future. What
you describe here IMO is absolutely ok. Root still can kill processes,
if you open a terminal emulation. If you start a GUI to do it, then it's
ok, that you have to type the user password. Note that not every user
will get those privileges automatically.
It's a feature and I'm not ironic. It really isn't a bug and makes
sense.