Re: Debian Wheezy Grub Problem

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 04:34 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>> You can set the default in "/etc/default/grub" as
>> 'GRUB_DEFAULT="Debian GNU/Linux (6.0.4)"'.
>
> The automation for GRUB2 is crap, edit the grub.cfg manually, then you
> also could tidy up grub.cfg and get rid of all the nonsense.

The fact that grub's finding all of the OP's installs means that it's
working perfectly well (even though its innards are ugly and overly
complex!

The OP's preferred kernel isn't the default because he has
'GRUB_DEFAULT="0"' in "/etc/default/grub". 'GRUB_DEFAULT="0"' is the
upstream and distro default and it's what the majority of users want.

I've dumped grub from my laptop because I only need a boot manager and
not a boot loader. But I still use it on my servers and VMs and it
works perfectly well.

> If you keep GRUB provided by an install that is less maintained you even
> don't need to remove this automation. The updater or what it's called on
> my machine, even does include installs that aren't existing ;). It just
> takes a minute to edit grub.cfg directly and to get exactly what you
> want, but you can study how to fix (configure) grub and spend a year to
> anyway get a bad menu.

If you really want to write out your own complete grub.cfg, you should
use 40_custom and either delete or "chmod -x" the other files in
"/etc/grub.d/".

> menuentry 'Ubuntu Quantal, kernel 3.6.5-rt14' {
> set root='(hd1,9)'; set legacy_hdbias='0'
> legacy_kernel '/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.5-rt14' '/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.5-rt14'
> 'root=/dev/sdb9' 'ro' 'quiet' ''
> legacy_initrd '/boot/initrd.img-3.6.5-rt14'
> '/boot/initrd.img-3.6.5-rt14'
> }

So not only are you advising people to edit a file that'll be
overwritten when linux-image is upgraded but you're using unorthodox
"legacy_kernel" and "legacy_initrd" commands simply for the sake of
being different. I don't have a squeeze install on which to check but
I don't think that its version of grub has "legacycfg.mod", which you
need for the "legacy_..." commands.